The 2013 Cinema Minima residency challenges writers and filmmakers to develop short independent filmsbased on the theme: The Decisive Monent. The residency promotes experimentation, supports emergent media, provides artists with networking opportunities, and encourages public participation.
The Decisive Moment
"The decisive moment, it is the simultaneous recognition in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression"
— Henri Cartier-Bresson
Phase 1: Writers
The first installment is a special Writers Event on October 6th where writers submissions are presented to an audience. The audience chooses top 3 writers who each win $100 and their contribution made into film(s).
Writers Rules for Submission
Phase 2: Filmmakers
In the second phase, the top 3 writing selections will be posted for the filmmakers to choose from. The filmmakers will have three weeks to submit a short film/video(s) based on the writing(s). November 3rd is the FILM Premiere of all films/video. Best in Show is chosen by the audience. Best in Show receives a future featured screening and $100+. Honorable mentions also chosen. (The + is a percentage of the bar take for the evening of the premiere).
Filmmakers Rules for Submission
Rules for Writing Submissions
Writers Event on Sun October 6, 2013 at 8pm: Special event where writers submissions presented to an audience. The audience chooses top 3 writers who win $100 prizes each and contribution made into film.
1. Sunday October 6: deadline for writers’ submissions. You must have you submission ready to read for the event. We also must receive you entry electronically by the end of the Writer’s Event or you will be disqualified. Email submissions to email@example.com with subject line “CM Writing Submission”
2. Writers must be present at the October 6 writers event in order to be eligible for prize money.
3. Submissions can be up to 1000 words. No Minimum.
4. No limit on format or style as long as submission reflects the theme: “The Decisive Moment”.
5. The top three spots will be selected by audience approval, so make sure you tell your friends to come in order to increase your chances.
6. Upon selection the top 3 writers will be paid $100 dollars for the work submitted.
7. Top 3 submissions will be passed along to filmmakers to be made into shorts films.
8. Writers are not allowed to collaborate directly with any filmmakers.
Rules For Film Submission
Film Premiere on Sun November 3 at 8pm: All films screened. Audience selects Best in Show filmmaker As well as Honorable mentions. Best in Show receives a future featured screening and $100+. (The + is a percentage of the bar take for the evening of the premiere).
1. Top 3 selected writers submissions will be posted electronically by October 7th for use by filmmakers.
2. Suggested Registration for filmmakers so we can promote you as a participant! Send an email with the subject “CM Film Registration” to firstname.lastname@example.org include:
- Let us know about your work: send a website link or video link.
- your choice(s) of the 3 selected submissions you intend to interprete through a flm/video
3. Filmmakers can make 1-3 films: select one script or all three but must make a separate submission for each writing submission.
4. Filmmakers create an under 5-minute interpretation(s) of 1 or more of 3 selected writing submissions.
5. Films must be under 5 minutes. No Minimum.
6. Films should be in 1280X720. Acceptable formats include: DVD, Quicktime, or MPG4.
7. Sun October 27: deadline to Submit Finished Film(s). All Films must be received by 10/27 and can be dropped off or mailed to AnyWhere Space, 2328 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60647.
6. Best in Show will be chosen by audience at the November 3 Film Premiere along with Honorable Mentions. Best in Show receives a future featured screening and $100+. (The + is a percentage of the bar take for the evening of the premiere)